Friday 1 March 2013

What we remember…………. Part 3

We all know that there are many many articles about how children nowadays spend too much time indoors or on the computer and how they rarely play outdoors anymore – many factors have played a part in that. BAND are quite a small staff team of varying ages and we all have different memories of play and what play means to us. So I thought that I would talk to the team and find out what they remember playing with or doing when they were younger……

 Julie (freedom to roam in the 60’s)

We lived in a street of semi detached houses in a deprived part of South Bristol. We used to play outside in the fields a lot which were at the end of our street – and I remember that we used to go tadpoling in the streams. We used to have a small tent that we played in as well. I also remember doing a lot of construction – digging out the garden and making oil rigs and playing doctors and nurses in our playroom with my brothers.

We used to play in the streets a lot. One of our favourite games being knockout ginger – knocking on doors and running away! There was hardly anything in the media in those days so our parents gave us a lot more freedom. I used to play with kids my own age – boys and girls and with the older kids a lot as my 2 brothers are older than me. Adults didn’t play a part in our play – we often just went off without them. We used to take jam sandwiches and walk to Dundry from our house for the whole day, and then walk home when we fancied.

My bothers used to have train sets which they set up in the living room – this meant the whole family enjoyed it – play wasn’t constricted to our rooms. And TV didn’t feature very much in those days – it only went on in time for blue peter and andy pandy.

 
Tell us here at BAND what you remember doing…we’d love to hear from you!

ellie@bandltd.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment